2K S.C. Homes Damaged By Floods

As Florence aftermath continues

Patrick Gentry
September 26, 2018 - 11:38 am
Categories: 

South Carolina authorities say early estimates show about 2,000 homes have been damaged from floodwaters from Hurricane Florence and its remnants.

State Emergency Management Division Director Kim Stenson said Wednesday those numbers are quite preliminary since flooding is still occurring and could affect hundreds or thousands of additional homes.

Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Brock Long was in South Carolina on Wednesday. He urged anyone with damage from the flood contact FEMA as soon as possible to begin the claim process.

FEMA says 4,000 people in South Carolina have already registered and they've already paid $500,000 in claims.

The agency also added Georgetown County to five others in the state under disaster declarations to receive individual assistance.

Conway firefighters say the city hasn't seen many rescues or problems with the unprecedented flooding in the South Carolina city.

Conway Fire Chief Le Hendrick in part credits how accurately predicted the flooding was. Firefighters went around last week with a map warning people they were going to flood even though they never had before.

Hendrick said on Tuesday firefighters checked and those areas were flooded.

The Waccamaw River in Conway was expected to crest on Wednesday at 21.7 feet (6.6 meters). It surpassed the previous record high of 17.9 feet (5.5 meters) set in 2016 by Hurricane Matthew on Friday.

The waterway is not expected to drop below 18 feet or so until sometime next week. The river floods at 11 feet (3.4 meters).

Comments ()