Funeral home head says he's tired of burying young people

December 24, 2018 - 6:44 am

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) — A Durham, North Carolina, funeral home director says he and the other local undertakers are tired of burying young people.

The News & Observer reports Franklin O. Hanes opened a small funeral home in Durham in 1994. Since then, the home has seen many untimely deaths related to public health issues. There was the AIDS epidemic in the 1980s, a crack cocaine crisis in the 1990s and now deadly gang violence is plaguing the city.

A report by the Durham County Criminal Justice Resource Center says 43 percent of all city homicides from 2009 to 2017 involved gang members. Durham police say the city's seen an uptick in the number of homicides this year, with 33 by the end of November. There were 21 homicides in 2017.

___

Information from: The News & Observer, http://www.newsobserver.com

AP Editorial Categories: 
Comments ()