Latest Georgia news, sports, business and entertainment at 3:20 a.m. EDT

July 03, 2018 - 12:00 am


Former Ole Miss football coach Billy Kinard dies at 84

OXFORD, Miss. (AP) — Former Mississippi head football coach Billy Kinard has died at the age of 84.

The University of Mississippi said Monday that Kinard died Saturday at his home in Fort Payne, Alabama after an extended illness.

Kinard was a defensive back and halfback in the 1950s under Ole Miss legend Johnny Vaught. When Vaught retired after a heart attack in 1970, the university hired Kinard. He was a success at first, leading the Rebels to a 10-2 record in 1971. But Kinard's record fell to 5-5 in 1972 and then 1-2 at the start of 1973. Vaught returned from retirement to replace Kinard.

Kinard played professional football for four years, including 1956 with the Cleveland Browns, 1957 and 1958 with the Green Bay Packers and 1960 with the Buffalo Bills.


Teen taken by state after parents let him use pot goes home

JEFFERSONVILLE, Ga. (AP) — A Georgia teenager taken from his parents after they allowed him to smoke marijuana for medical reasons is back home.

A brief filed in his case by the American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia says the 15-year-old boy suffers daily epileptic seizures. He tried prescription medication and legal medical cannabis oil, but those didn't work.

Then, his mother and stepfather, Suzeanna and Matthew Brill, let him smoke marijuana. Their lawyer, Catherine Bernard, said his seizures ceased for 71 days.

When authorities found out on April 19, they told the family to stop. The next day, the teen suffered a serious seizure and had to be hospitalized. He was placed in state custody and his parents were charged with reckless conduct.

On Monday, he was allowed to return to his family.


Georgia prosecutor says man 'bullied everyone in his path'

MACON, Ga. (AP) — A Georgia man has been sentenced to prison after authorities said he was involved in several violent incidents.

Crawford County District Attorney David Cooke says 26-year-old Stephen Strange, of Roberta, "bullied everyone in his path."

A news release says Strange pleaded guilty Friday to aggravated assault for the nonfatal choking of a woman April 21 at a Roberta hotel. He received a four-year sentence. Prosecutors say Strange also threw a brick at a witness to the attack, breaking a car window.

Other charges against Strange were dropped in a plea deal. Prosecutors say Strange swung a machete at a truck in February. Also that month, he threw a can of Vienna sausages at teenagers and threatened to beat them up.

Strange's attorney could not immediately be reached Monday.


Georgia troopers stop over 100 first day of hands-free law

(Information from: WSB-TV,

ATLANTA (AP) — State troopers made over a hundred stops enforcing Georgia's new hands-free driving law Sunday, the first day the law was in effect.

Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Tracey Watson told WSB-TV the Georgia State Patrol issued 34 citations and 98 warnings across the state.

Under the "Hands-Free Georgia Act," drivers are not allowed to operate a phone by hand or use any part of their body to support the device. Fines range from $50 to $150.

One motorist was stopped for holding their phone while using GPS and another for texting.

State Trooper Cory Croscutt told the station he hoped the law reduces traffic fatalities at a time when crashes caused by distractions happen daily.



Toilet repair floods local government building in Georgia

(Information from: Columbus Ledger-Enquirer,

COLUMBUS, Ga. (AP) — A local government building in Georgia has flooded for the second time in two weeks.

The Ledger-Enquirer reports that the most recent flooding at the Columbus Government Center happened Saturday after city workers repaired a fourth-floor toilet. It caused damage on the floors below.

A broken water main on the 12th floor of the building caused extensive damage in June. Most of the building was closed for a week as city and judicial officials moved proceedings to available courtrooms.



Savannah sees fewer violent crimes in 1st half of 2018

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — Violent crime in one Georgia city has decreased for the first half of this year compared to the same period in 2017.

The Savannah Police Department says overall violent crime was down by 16 percent compared to this time last year.

The Savannah Morning News reports that the list includes homicide, rape, commercial, street and residential robberies, aggravated assault with a gun and aggravated assault without a gun.

The largest dip in violent crime was in aggravated assaults with guns. By June 23, 2017, there had been 140 assaults with guns in Savannah. By the same date this year, there were 82.

There have been 10 killings in Savannah this year. At this point last year there were 16. In 2016, there were 26.


Georgia rep seeks primary do-over because of ballot errors

HOMER, Ga. (AP) — A Georgia lawmaker is asking a judge to order a new election because some voters received the wrong ballots in a primary that he narrowly lost.

State Rep. Dan Gasaway lost the May 22 Republican primary to Chris Erwin by 67 votes. Both men live in Homer.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports Habersham County election officials sent letters to voters saying "your address was found to have been placed in the wrong House district."

Gasaway says the election office is a "complete disaster." He has represented the Homer area since 2013.

An election for Hazlehurst mayor was thrown out in 2015 because of vote-buying allegations, and a Walker County state House race went through three elections in 2003 because of redistricting changes that led to voters being turned away.


Atlanta police: Woman arrested at immigration policy protest

ATLANTA (AP) — Atlanta police say a crowd protesting a U.S. immigration policy that separated children from their parents had become violent and one person was arrested.

Maj. Rick Mason tells news outlets that roughly 50 demonstrators were gathered Sunday night at the Atlanta City Detention Center. He says a group of officers had asked the protesters to remove tents they were erecting outside the city jail downtown.

Mason says the protesters refused to move the tents and that when officers approached to clear them, the crowd started fighting and throwing frozen water bottles at them.

Police did not name the woman who was arrested over a city ordinance violation but say she was charged with disorderly conduct.

Police say they would allow the protest to continue as long as it remains peaceful.

AP Editorial Categories: 
Comments ()