A French soldiers patrols as the Christmas market reopens in Strasbourg, eastern France, Friday, Dec.14, 2018. The man authorities believe killed three people during a rampage near a Christmas market in Strasbourg died Thursday in a shootout with police at the end of a two-day manhunt, French authorities said. (AP Photo/Christophe Ena)

The Latest: Macron to visit Strasbourg after suspect's death

December 14, 2018 - 7:57 am

STRASBOURG, France (AP) — The Latest on France attack aftermath and death of suspect (all times local):

1:50 p.m.

French President Emmanuel Macron will head to Strasbourg on Friday evening, one day after the suspect in Tuesday's attack near the city's famous Christmas market was shot dead in a police operation.

The president's office said Macron will go to the eastern French city after the end of a European summit he is attending in Brussels.

Macron wants to show his "support for the victims' families" and "pay tribute to the victims." He will also meet with security forces deployed in Strasbourg to thank them, according to the statement.

Three people died in the Strasbourg attack. The 29-year-old suspected gunman, Cherif Chekatt, was killed by police Thursday after a two-day manhunt.

___

12:40 p.m.

The Christmas market in Strasbourg has reopened amid tight security a day after the gunman suspected of killing three people in an attack earlier this week was shot dead by police.

The main suspect, Cherif Chekatt, was killed on Thursday after he opened fire on officers during a police operation.

The site of Tuesday's attack was close to Strasbourg's famous Christmas market, which was closed during the manhunt for Chekatt.

Interior Minister Christophe Castaner attended the reopening and had a stroll in the market to meet with shopkeepers.

Access to the market has been reduced while extra police officers and military have been deployed to the site in addition to private security guards.

Castaner said authorities decided to reopen the Christmas market "for the honor of Strasbourg, for the honor of France."

___

12:15 p.m.

Investigators looking into the Strasbourg attack are trying to establish whether the main suspect was helped by accomplices while on the run, Paris prosecutor Remy Heitz said Friday.

The prosecutor, who handles terror cases throughout France, told a news conference on Friday that seven people are in police custody, including four family members of Cherif Chekatt. The 29-year-old was shot dead on Thursday during a police operation which took place in the Neudorf neighborhood of the city.

"We want to reconstruct the past 48 hours in order to find out whether he got some support," Heitz said.

___

9 a.m.

The immediate aftermath of the shootout between French security forces and the suspect in the Strasbourg attack has been caught on camera from across the street, with video footage showing armed officers at the scene and the body of the man slumped in a doorway.

More officers arrive at the scene soon after, followed by crime scene investigators who take photos of the body and the surroundings.

The Paris prosecutor's office, which handles terror cases in France, formally identified the man on Thursday as 29-year-old Cherif Chekatt, a Strasbourg-born man with a long history of convictions for various crimes, including robberies. Chekatt also had been on a watch list of potential extremists.

Chekatt was suspected of killing three people and wounding 13 near Strasbourg's Christmas market on Tuesday night.

AP Editorial Categories: 
Comments ()