More North Carolina school systems plan for teacher rally

April 24, 2019 - 12:43 pm

WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP) — Three school systems in southeastern North Carolina are making plans in response to the statewide teacher rally in support of higher salaries and legislative funding.

News outlets report New Hanover County Schools announced in a news release Wednesday that classes will be canceled on May 1, joining Brunswick County Schools, which said last week in was canceling classes in advance of the rally.

Pender County Schools announced last week that it's proposing to send two staff members from each school to represent the district so classes wouldn't have to be canceled.

An estimated 19,000 people marched last May to the Legislative Building.

Republican Superintendent of Public Instruction Mark Johnson has said he can't support protests that force schools to close. He's suggested holding the rally during spring or summer break.

AP Editorial Categories: 
Comments ()