Death Investigations

At apartment complex

Evan Smith
January 25, 2019 - 3:28 pm
Categories: 

Columbia fire officials say a housing complex where two men were found dead last week has been in violation of fire codes for not having carbon monoxide detectors in place.

In a letter sent to the Columbia Housing Authority this week, fire inspectors said 65 units did not have the detectors despite a code change in 2015 requiring them. Authority spokesman Bob Coble said they're still gathering more information.

At least one member of the city council has called for the housing director's resignation. Coble urged the public to wait for the facts in the case.

The Richland County Coroner's Office has said it needs to wait for test results before ruling on a cause of death for the two men last week.

Comments ()