GCS Preparing For Weather

Possible Decision This Evening

Seth Stokes
January 16, 2018 - 10:13 am

Greenville County administrators are consulting with the National Weather Service, Emergency Preparedness Officials, the Department of Transportation and Law Enforcement as they watch the latest forecasts come in.  GCS will evaluate the timing of the possible storm and how it could affect travel conditions for buses and car riders in the morning. 

They will try to make a decision this evening, if possible, to allow parents enough time to plan for childcare in case a delay or cancellation is necessary.  Parents are encouraged to check Greenville County School's social media sites, the website and local media for updates.  Parents can sign up to receive an alert to their cell phone by texting “follow @gcsalerts” to 40404.

The primary concern is the safety of students and staff, not only those who live in the Northern part of the county, but those students who may travel across the county for a magnet schools and teachers who make work at a school that is not located near their home.

Additionally, there are several high schools that have End of Course exams scheduled for tomorrow, IF school must be cancelled students should prepare to take those exams on the day they return to school.  There is tight window with state deadlines to complete those exams.

Maintenance crews at the district warehouse have loaded trucks with “ice melt” and have the plows ready to roll. 

Comments ()