Protests In Downtown Greenville

No violence reported

Lee Rogers
May 30, 2020 - 8:00 pm
Marquelle Dortch participates in a protest against police brutality outside of the Peace Center Saturday, May 30, 2020.

© JOSH MORGAN/Staff via Imagn Content Services, LLC


Greenville, SC - Protests over the death of a Minnesota man in police custody continued in Greenville Saturday.  Staff from our Entercom sister station 96.3 The Block recorded video which appeared to show several hundred people line the streets of downtown Greenville chanting and holding signs on the sidewalk.

Saturday evening, 1063 WORD News  received information that sometime type of protest may take place on Woodruff Road Saturday night.  In anticipation of any disturbance it appears that stores like Target on Woodruff Road closed early.

Target parking lot on Woodruff Road is deserted by 6PM Saturday May 30.
Dave Jackson - Entercom

The doors to Target appeared to barricade with rows of shopping carts.

Rows of shopping carts block the doors at the Woodruff Road Target Saturday May 30.
Dave Jackson - Entercom

Stores in the Shops at Greenridge on Woodruff Road also appeared to have closed early.

Empty parking lot at Ross in the Shops at Greenridge on Saturday May 30.
Dave Jackson - Entercom

Greenville Police were also visible in parking lots in the area.

Greenville Police patrolling parking lots Saturday May 30.
Dave Jackson - Entercom

1063 WORD attempted to contact the Greenville County Sheriff's office, Greenville Police Department and the City of Greenville.  As of this writing the only response we have received was from City of Greenville Spokeperson Beth Brotherton who gave no futher details but said it was "still an active situation."

Protests turned Violent in Columbia

The State newspapaer in Columbia is reporting that Columbia Mayor Steve Benjamin declared a state of emergency and curfew following violent protests in downtown Columbia.  The paper also posted video on their website show at least two Columbia city police vehicles on fire.  

Columbia Police Chief Skip Hollbrook told The State that four officers were injured, one of them seriously.  One firefighter was also injured.

Comments ()