Classical music

FILE - In this June 7, 2011, file photo, The White House host a State Dinner performance by members of the National Symphony Orchestra in the Rose Garden in honor of German Chancellor Angela Merkel. The National Symphony Orchestra canceled the five remaining performances in Japan of its Asian tour because of a new virus epidemic, according to an announcement on Thursday, Feb. 27, 2020. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais, File)
February 28, 2020 - 3:37 am
WASHINGTON (AP) — The National Symphony Orchestra canceled the five remaining performances in Japan of its Asian tour because of a new virus epidemic. The orchestra originally was to play eight concerts in its first international tour with music director Gianandrea Noseda. On Feb. 4, the NSO called...
Read More
FILE - In this Jan. 5, 2020, file photo, members of South Korean K-Pop group BTS pose for photos during the Golden Disk Awards in Seoul, South Korea. BTS canceled a series of planned concerts in Seoul in April due to concerns about a soaring viral outbreak in South Korea, the band’s management agency said Friday, Feb. 28, 2020. (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon, File)
February 28, 2020 - 3:35 am
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — K-pop superstars BTS canceled an upcoming concert series in South Korea's capital as the country that exports entertainment worldwide tries to contain a soaring virus outbreak. It follows a near-shutdown of entertainment in hard-hit parts of China, the world's second-...
Read More
FILE - In this Aug. 28, 2019 file photo, opera star Placido Domingo salutes spectators at the end of a concert in Szeged, Hungary. The Spanish government on Wednesday Feb. 26, 2020 has decided to cancel the participation of tenor Placido Domingo in Madrid's La Zarzuela opera theater in May 2020 in light of the latest developments in the sexual misconduct allegations against the legendary singer. (AP Photo/Laszlo Balogh, File)
February 27, 2020 - 7:05 pm
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Opera star Placido Domingo amended his apology to the multiple women who have accused him of sexual misconduct, adding several caveats Thursday to a statement two days earlier in which he said he took “full responsibility” for his actions. In a statement on his Facebook page,...
Read More
FILE - In this May 23, 2007, file photo, Placido Domingo, general director of the Washington National Opera, speaks during a news conference in Washington about a simulcast of a performance of La Boheme. An investigation into Domingo by the U.S. union representing opera performers found more than two dozen people who said they were sexually harassed or witnessed inappropriate behavior by the superstar when he held senior management positions at Washington National Opera and Los Angeles Opera, according to people familiar with the findings. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, File)
February 26, 2020 - 8:03 pm
MADRID (AP) — The Spanish government said Wednesday it was canceling two upcoming performances by Plácido Domingo in Madrid to show support for the women who have accused him of misconduct and take a stand against sexual harassment, becoming the first in Europe to cancel on the megastar since since...
Read More
FILE - In this Dec. 19, 2009, file photo, Placido Domingo performs during a sound check prior to a free concert in Mexico City. In a statement released on Tuesday, Feb. 25, 2020, he said, "I have taken time over the last several months to reflect on the allegations that various colleagues of mine have made against me. ... I respect that these women finally felt comfortable enough to speak out, and I want them to know that I am truly sorry for the hurt that I caused them. I accept full responsibility for my actions, and I have grown from this experience." (AP Photo/Marco Ugarte)
February 25, 2020 - 8:20 pm
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The words "I am truly sorry" have not been uttered often in the #MeToo era. So when soprano Luz del Alba Rubio woke up Tuesday to see an apology from opera superstar Placido Domingo, she was in shock. "I felt like we have conquered Goliath. Now we don't have to be scared to...
Read More
FILE - In this May 23, 2007, file photo, Placido Domingo, general director of the Washington National Opera, speaks during a news conference in Washington about a simulcast of a performance of La Boheme. An investigation into Domingo by the U.S. union representing opera performers found more than two dozen people who said they were sexually harassed or witnessed inappropriate behavior by the superstar when he held senior management positions at Washington National Opera and Los Angeles Opera, according to people familiar with the findings. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, File)
February 25, 2020 - 3:32 am
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — An investigation into legendary singer Plácido Domingo by the U.S. union representing opera performers found more than two dozen people who said they were sexually harassed or witnessed inappropriate behavior by the superstar when he held senior management positions at...
Read More
February 20, 2020 - 2:20 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — Dan Brown's next book will have a lighter, more musical touch. The “Da Vinci Code” author is working on a picture story, “Wild Symphony," scheduled to be published Sept. 1. Rodale Kids, an imprint of Random House Children’s Books, announced the book Thursday and called it an “...
Read More
FILE - In this Aug. 28, 2019, file photo, Opera star Placido Domingo listens to applause at the end of a concert in Szeged, Hungary. Despite objections from sexual abuse activists, the Israeli Opera will host a week-long singing competition organized by Domingo in Tel Aviv later this year. Domingo has withdrawn from all U.S. performances since reports by The Associated Press last year detailed accusations of sexual harassment or other inappropriate, sexually charged conduct. (AP Photo/Laszlo Balogh, File)
February 19, 2020 - 3:31 am
JERUSALEM (AP) — Despite objections from sexual abuse activists, the Israeli Opera will host a weeklong singing competition organized by Spanish opera star Placido Domingo in Tel Aviv later this year. Domingo, 80, has withdrawn from all U.S. performances since reports by The Associated Press last...
Read More
FILE - In this May 20, 2006, file photo, soprano Deborah Voigt performs during the Metropolitan Opera Gala honoring the Met's General Manager Joseph Volpe in New York. The Gazzetta di Parma newspaper in Italy ran an obituary of Mirella Freni, the great Italian soprano who died Sunday at age 84. It was accompanied by a large photo that filled more than half the page of Voigt. (AP Photo/Stephen Chernin, File)
February 14, 2020 - 5:54 pm
Deborah Voigt was in California earlier this week when she got a text from a friend on the East Coast. "So sorry to hear the news of your passing," read the Monday message. The Gazzetta di Parma newspaper in Italy had run an obituary of Mirella Freni, the great Italian soprano who died Sunday at...
Read More
This undated photo provided by the Metropolitan Opera shows set model by Jan Versweyveld for the new production of Jake Heggie's "Dead Man Walking." After years of pushing, Joyce DiDonato has been granted a big wish: The Metropolitan Opera is mounting Jake Heggie's "Dead Man Walking" for the mezzo-soprano next season. (Aram Kim/ Metropolitan Opera via AP)
February 13, 2020 - 3:56 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — After years of pushing, Joyce DiDonato has been granted a big wish: The Metropolitan Opera is mounting Jake Heggie's "Dead Man Walking" for the mezzo-soprano next season. Twenty seasons after the work's world premiere, it arrives at the Met on April 8, 2021, in a production directed...
Read More

Pages