Juries

June 23, 2019 - 10:08 am
DUBLIN, Ga. (AP) — A Georgia sheriff says he had to get involved when nearly three-fourths of people summoned for jury duty in his county failed to show up for court. WMAZ-TV reports courts in Laurens County faced a small crisis last week when only 60 people showed up for jury duty out of 200 who...
Read More
FILE - In this June 14, 2010 file photograph, Clemmie Flemming points out to prosecutor Doug Evans, center, where she spotted Curtis Giovanni Flowers on the morning of four slayings at Tardy Furniture in Greenwood, Miss. Evans, a Mississippi prosecutor who has tried the same man six times in a death penalty case now will decide whether to seek a seventh trial after the U.S. Supreme Court found racial bias in jury selection. (Taylor Kuykendall/The Commonwealth via AP, File)
June 22, 2019 - 9:44 am
JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A Mississippi prosecutor has tried and failed six times to send Curtis Flowers to the death chamber, with the latest trial conviction and death sentence overturned on Friday because of racial bias in jury selection. Now, that same prosecutor must decide whether to try Flowers...
Read More
Weslie Martin, accused of burglarizing Wayne Newton's home, is escorted out of the courtroom following his hearing at the Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, Friday, June 21, 2019. A Nevada jury found martin, a 22-year-old state prison inmate guilty of burglarizing the mansion of "Mr. Las Vegas" entertainer Wayne Newton twice in June 2018, and of trying to break into a neighboring home. (Erik Verduzco/Las Vegas Review-Journal via AP)
June 21, 2019 - 6:50 pm
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A Nevada prison inmate was found guilty Friday of burglarizing the mansion of "Mr. Las Vegas" entertainer Wayne Newton twice a year ago and trying to break into a neighboring home. Weslie Hosea Martin, 22, didn't testify during the trial and didn't visibly react to the jury verdict...
Read More
Wayne Newton takes the witness stand in the State of Nevada case against Weslie Martin, accused of burglarizing Newton's home, at the Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, Tuesday, June 18, 2019. (Erik Verduzco/Las Vegas Review-Journal via AP)
June 18, 2019 - 10:18 pm
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Longtime Las Vegas entertainer Wayne Newton told a Nevada jury on Tuesday that he fired a gunshot to scare away two burglars that he and his wife and their teenage daughter encountered during a second burglary in 10 days at their home a year ago. "My wife was in hysterics and...
Read More
This undated selfie provided by Andrea Gallagher shows her husband, U.S. Navy SEAL Edward Gallagher, who has been charged with allegedly killing an Islamic State prisoner in his care and attempted murder for the shootings of two Iraq civilians in 2017. Gallagher is scheduled to go on trial Monday, June 17, 2019. (Edward Gallagher/Courtesy of Andrea Gallagher via AP, File)
June 18, 2019 - 9:35 pm
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A decorated Navy SEAL stabbed to death a wounded and captive teenage Islamic State fighter in Iraq and then bragged about it, a military prosecutor told jurors Tuesday during opening statements in a politically charged court-martial. Lt. Brian John projected photos of the dead...
Read More
This undated photo provided by the Nevada Department of Corrections shows Weslie Hosea Martin, of Las Vegas. A jury in Las Vegas is due to hear longtime entertainer Wayne Newton and his wife describe encountering two burglars at their home a year ago, including one who attacked their dogs with a crowbar before escaping. A prosecutor told jurors Tuesday, June 18, 2019, that Martin was one of those men, and later sold Newton valuables to a coin and jewelry store. Martin’s public defender tells the jury that little evidence ties Martin to the break-in the Newtons interrupted when they returned home.(Nevada Department of Corrections via AP)
June 18, 2019 - 8:31 pm
LAS VEGAS (AP) — The Latest on the trial of a 22-year-old Nevada prison inmate accused of burglarizing the home of Las Vegas entertainer Wayne Newton and his family in June 2018 (all times local): 5:15 p.m. Longtime Las Vegas entertainer Wayne Newton told a jury he fired a gunshot to scare away two...
Read More
June 18, 2019 - 12:53 pm
GEORGETOWN, Del. (AP) — A federal grand jury has indicted a Delaware accused of making hoax emergency calls to locations across the country, causing police and SWAT teams to respond. WDEL reports the U.S. Department of Justice announced the arrest of 29-year-old Rodney Phipps on Tuesday. Officials...
Read More
This undated selfie provided by Andrea Gallagher shows her husband, U.S. Navy SEAL Edward Gallagher, who has been charged with allegedly killing an Islamic State prisoner in his care and attempted murder for the shootings of two Iraq civilians in 2017. Gallagher is scheduled to go on trial Monday, June 17, 2019. (Edward Gallagher/Courtesy of Andrea Gallagher via AP, File)
June 17, 2019 - 9:35 pm
SAN DIEGO (AP) — Seasoned combat veterans who described losing comrades and taking war prisoners were questioned Monday as possible jurors in the trial of a decorated Navy SEAL charged with killing a wounded Islamic State captive in Iraq. All but one of the potential jurors in the court-martial of...
Read More
FILE - In this Tuesday, May 7, 2019 file courtroom drawing, defendant Keith Raniere, center, leader of the secretive group NXIVM, is seated between his attorneys Paul DerOhannesian, left, and Marc Agnifilo during the first day of his sex trafficking trial. After weeks of relentlessly lurid testimony, federal prosecutors have wrapped up their case against Raniere, a former self-improvement guru accused of sex trafficking. Both prosecutors and defense lawyers told the judge Friday, June 14 they were finished calling witnesses. Closing arguments and jury deliberations will happen next week. (Elizabeth Williams via AP, File)
June 14, 2019 - 2:37 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — After weeks of relentlessly lurid testimony, federal prosecutors in Brooklyn on Friday wrapped up their sex trafficking case against Keith Raniere, the former spiritual leader of the self-improvement group NXIVM. Prosecutors and defense lawyers told the judge they were finished...
Read More
FILE - In this May 20, 2019 file photo Former NFL football player Kellen Winslow Jr. looks at attorney Marc Carlos during his rape trial in Vista, Calif. Prosecutors are expected to announce, Friday, June 14, whether they will retry Winslow Jr. on eight criminal charges left undecided by the jury that convicted the former NFL player of rape. Winslow was convicted Monday of raping a 58-year-old homeless woman and two counts of lewd conduct involving two other women. The jury deadlocked on remaining charges, including two counts of rape involving a hitchhiker and an unconscious teenage girl. (John Gibbins/The San Diego Union-Tribune via AP, Pool,File)
June 14, 2019 - 2:25 pm
VISTA, Calif. (AP) — The Latest on a rape case against former NFL player Kellen Winslow Jr. (all times local): 11:25 a.m. California prosecutors will retry Kellen Winslow Jr. on eight charges left undecided by the jury that convicted the former NFL player of rape. The prosecution announced its...
Read More

Pages