Legal proceedings

FILE- In this Sept. 24, 2014 file photo, Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino leaves the MLK Jr. Federal Courthouse in Newark, N.J., after a court appearance. After previously pleading not guilty to charges that they filed bogus tax returns on nearly $9 million and claimed millions in personal expenses as business expenses, "Jersey Shore" reality TV show star Michael "The Situation" Sorrentino and his brother have had additional tax fraud charges filed against them on Friday, April 7, 2017. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez, File)
April 07, 2017 - 4:12 pm
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — "Jersey Shore" star Michael "The Situation" Sorrentino and his brother were hit with additional tax fraud charges on Friday after federal prosecutors say they filed fake tax returns and claimed luxury car and clothing purchases were business expenses. Federal prosecutors said...
Read More
April 07, 2017 - 3:23 pm
PHOENIX (AP) — A homeless ex-convict was sentenced Friday to life in prison for fatally shooting a Catholic priest nearly three years ago at a Phoenix church and beating another clergyman with a metal rod. Gary Michael Moran, 57, received the sentence that was called for in a plea agreement in the...
Read More
Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley speaks during a news conference on Friday, April 7, 2017, outside the Alabama Capitol building in Montgomery, Ala. Bentley vowed again he won't resign even as his political troubles mounted and lawmakers said they would move forward with impeachment hearings because of a sex scandal. (Julie Bennett/AL.com via AP)
April 07, 2017 - 11:44 am
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley simultaneously sued to block potential impeachment proceedings and apologized to voters Friday, assuring them he has done nothing illegal and vowing to stay in office in the face of a sex-tinged scandal. The governor's defiance comes at the end of...
Read More
Tiffany Li, who is accused of killing the father of her two children, enters a car after she was released from San Mateo County Jail after posting $35 million bail Thursday, April 6, 2017, in Redwood City, Calif. (AP Photo/Tony Avelar)
April 07, 2017 - 3:48 am
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (AP) — A Chinese real estate scion charged with orchestrating the murder of her children's father was released from a San Francisco Bay Area jail after posting $35 million bail, a highly unusual financial transaction that startled and angered the victim's family and friends...
Read More
Tiffany Li, who is accused of killing the father of her two children, enters a car after she was released from San Mateo County Jail after posting $35 million bail Thursday, April 6, 2017, in Redwood City, Calif. (AP Photo/Tony Avelar)
April 06, 2017 - 10:49 pm
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (AP) — A Chinese real estate scion charged with orchestrating the murder of her children's father was released from a San Francisco Bay Area jail Thursday after posting $35 million bail, a highly unusual financial transaction that startled and angered the victim's family and...
Read More
FILE- In this Oct. 10, 2016, file photo, Seattle Mayor Ed Murray speaks at a celebration of Indigenous Peoples' Day in Seattle, Wash. On Thursday, April 6, 2017, Murray was sued by a man who claimed Murray abused him 30 years ago when he was a teenager. Murray's personal spokesman, Jeff Reading, said in a statement that the allegations are false, politically motivated and that Murray would fight them. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson, File)
April 06, 2017 - 8:47 pm
SEATTLE (AP) — A lawsuit filed Thursday accuses Seattle Mayor Ed Murray of sexually molesting a teenage high-school dropout in the 1980s, and in interviews with The Seattle Times, two other men claim he abused them. The mayor denied the allegations through his personal spokesman Jeff Reading. "...
Read More
Tiffany Li, who is accused of killing the father of her two children, enters a car after she was released from San Mateo County Jail after posting $35 million bail Thursday, April 6, 2017, in Redwood City, Calif. (AP Photo/Tony Avelar)
April 06, 2017 - 8:10 pm
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (AP) — A Chinese real estate scion charged with orchestrating the murder of her children's father was released from a San Francisco Bay Area jail Thursday after posting $35 million bail, a highly unusual financial transaction that startled and angered the victim's family and...
Read More
This Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2016, photo shows a sign at Twitter headquarters in San Francisco. Twitter defied a U.S. government request for records that could identify the owner of an anti-Trump account, and is challenging the order in court. (AP Photo/Jeff Chiu)
April 06, 2017 - 6:34 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — Twitter defied a U.S. government request for records that could identify users behind an account opposed to President Donald Trump, and is challenging that order in court. The company filed a lawsuit in federal court in San Francisco against the federal Department of Homeland...
Read More
FILE- In this Nov. 15, 2012, file photo, Pedro Hernandez appears in Manhattan criminal court in New York. A New York judge on Thursday, April 6, 2017, denied a motion to throw out the murder conviction of Hernandez in an infamous 1979 missing-child case. Hernandez was convicted in February in the death of 6-year-old Etan Patz, who vanished on his way to a school bus. (AP Photo/Louis Lanzano, Pool, File)
April 06, 2017 - 4:28 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — A judge on Thursday refused to throw out the murder conviction of a man in an infamous 1979 missing-child case and scheduled his sentencing. Jurors who were unable to reach a verdict in the man's first trial on whether he killed 6-year-old Etan Patz have been a constant presence...
Read More
FILE - In this April 20, 2015 file photo, Robert Gentile is brought into the federal courthouse in a wheelchair for a hearing in Hartford, Conn. Gentile, who authorities say is the last surviving person of interest in the 1990 art heist from the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston, is scheduled to plead guilty to unrelated weapons charges, Thursday, April 6, 2017, in federal court in Hartford. (Cloe Poisson/Hartford Courant via AP, File)
April 06, 2017 - 4:28 pm
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — A reputed Connecticut mobster who authorities say is the last surviving person of interest in the largest art heist in U.S. history pleaded guilty Thursday to unrelated weapons charges. Robert Gentile, 80, appeared in federal court in Hartford in a case stemming from federal...
Read More

Pages