Massacres

Kosovo president Hashim Thaci, comforts Hafiz Musafaj, during his visit to the Recak memorial, in the village of Recak on Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2019, where he called on Serbia to apologize for the genocide on his country as the first step toward a peaceful future relationship. Thaci, a former commander of the Kosovo Liberation Army independence fighters, or KLA, said that during its genocide campaign in 1998-1999 Serbia committed some 400 massacres, killing about 13,000 civilians, including 1,300 children. Some 1,650 are still unaccounted for. (AP Photo/Visar Kryeziu)
January 15, 2020 - 11:14 am
PRISTINA, Kosovo (AP) — Kosovo’s president on Wednesday denounced what he called “an international amnesty” for Serbia’s crimes in the 1998-1999 war. Hashim Thaci spoke after a commemorative ceremony in the southern Kosovo village of Recak, 32 kilometers (20 miles) south of the capital, Pristina...
Read More
December 31, 2019 - 12:40 pm
SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina (AP) — Bosnia's war crimes prosecutor on Tuesday charged a former Bosnian Serb general with aiding genocide in the 1995 massacre at the eastern Bosnian town of Srebrenica. More than 8,000 Bosnian Muslim men and boys were killed when Bosnian Serb troops captured the U.N...
Read More
EDS NOTE: GRAPHIC CONTENT - FILE - In this Nov. 24, 2009, file photo, a police officer uses banana leaves to cover bodies which they recovered from a hillside grave in Datu Ampatuan, Maguindanao province, southern Philippines. A Philippine court will rule Thursday, Dec. 19, 2019 whether scions of a political clan and their gunmen are guilty of slaughtering 58 people, including 32 media workers, in an act of impunity that horrified the world. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila, File)
December 18, 2019 - 11:26 pm
MANILA, Philippines (AP) — A Philippine court on Thursday found key members of a powerful political clan guilty of a 2009 massacre in a southern province that left 57 people, including 32 media workers, dead in a brazen act that horrified the world. The regional trial court led by Judge Jocelyn...
Read More
FILE - In this Aug. 12, 2015 file photo, Suriname President Desire "Desi" Delano Bouterse observes a military parade, after being sworn in for his second term, in Paramaribo, Suriname. Bouterse was found responsible for the murders of 15 political opponents by a court that delivered a verdict delivered on Nov. 29, 2019. Despite the finding that he ordered the 1982 killings known here as the December murders, Bouterse remains president and a possible candidate for a third term in office in elections next year. (AP Photo/Ertugrul Kilic, File)
December 16, 2019 - 1:17 pm
PARAMARIBO, Suriname (AP) — Zahara Kamperveen laid white lilies before a glossy black plaque, then gently touched the name of her grandfather, a radio-station owner executed by a military junta in Suriname along with 14 other men nearly two decades before she was born. "They were murdered because...
Read More
Julian LeBaron speaks during a protest against the first year in office of Mexico's President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, in Mexico City, Monday, Dec. 1, 2019. LeBaron joined a protest on Reforma avenue to expressed anger and frustration over increasingly appalling incidents of violence, a stagnant economy and deepening political divisions in the country. (AP Photo/Ginnette Riquelme)
December 03, 2019 - 9:06 pm
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Relatives of nine U.S. dual citizens slaughtered in northern Mexico last month said Tuesday that President Andrés Manuel López Obrador prayed with them for the safety of the country and pledged to visit the region. Julian LeBaron said that during the family’s Monday meeting with...
Read More
A worker cleans up outside City Hall, riddled with bullet holes, in Villa Union, Mexico, Monday, Dec. 2, 2019. The small town near the U.S.-Mexico border began cleaning up Monday even as fear persisted after 22 people were killed in a weekend gunbattle between a heavily armed drug cartel assault group and security forces. (AP Photo/Eduardo Verdugo)
December 02, 2019 - 4:05 pm
VILLA UNION, Mexico (AP) — A small town near the U.S.-Mexico border began cleaning up Monday, gripped by fear after the killing of 22 people in a ferocious weekend gunbattle between drug cartel members and security forces. A 72-year-old woman living near Villa Union’s city hall recounted how she...
Read More
FILE -- In this March 23, 2016 photo Austrian author Peter Handke arrives for an award ceremony in Stuttgart, Germany. The winner of the 2019 Nobel Prize in literature is Austrian author Peter Handke. (Daniel Maurer/dpa via AP, file)
October 10, 2019 - 11:09 am
STOCKHOLM (AP) — The Latest on the awarding of the 2019 Nobel Prizes (all times local): 5 p.m. Kosovo has reacted angrily to the awarding of the Nobel Prize to Austrian writer Peter Handke. Vlora Citaku, Kosovo ambassador to the United States, tweeted that "In a world full of brilliant writers, the...
Read More
Police officers cross a wall at a crime scene in Halle, Germany, Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2019 after a shooting incident. A gunman fired several shots on Wednesday in the German city of Halle. Police say a person has been arrested after a shooting that left two people dead. (Sebastian Willnow/dpa via AP)
October 09, 2019 - 5:15 pm
HALLE, Germany (AP) — A heavily armed assailant ranting about Jews tried to force his way into a synagogue in Germany on Yom Kippur, Judaism's holiest day, then shot two people to death nearby in an attack Wednesday that was livestreamed on a popular gaming site. The attacker shot at the door of...
Read More
People visit a memorial garden for victims of a mass shooting in Las Vegas, Thursday, Oct. 3, 2019, in Las Vegas. Two years after a shooter rained gunfire on country music fans from a high-rise Las Vegas hotel, MGM Resorts International reached a settlement that could pay up to $800 million to families of the 58 people who died and hundreds of others who were injured, attorneys said Thursday. (AP Photo/John Locher)
October 03, 2019 - 8:39 pm
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Two years after a shooter rained gunfire on country music fans from a high-rise Las Vegas Strip hotel, MGM Resorts International has agreed to pay up to $800 million to families of the 58 people who died and hundreds of others who were injured, attorneys announced Thursday. The out...
Read More
A sign hangs on a fence surrounding the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh on Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2019. The first anniversary of the shooting at the synagogue, that killed 11 worshippers, is Oct., 27, 2019. Authorities charged Robert Bowers, 47, a truck driver from Baldwin, Pennsylvania, in the attack that killed eight men and three women, and wounded seven others inside Tree of Life synagogue, where congregants from New Light and Dor Hadash also had gathered. Bowers has pleaded not guilty . He faces the death penalty if convicted. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)
September 27, 2019 - 11:11 am
There will be some differences — and some constants — over the coming days as the New Light congregation observes Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year, for the first time since three of its members were among 11 Jews killed by a gunman nearly a year ago at a Pittsburgh synagogue. The man who last year...
Read More

Pages