Massacres

Ian Britton walks into a gun shop in Christchurch, New Zealand, Sunday, March 17, 2019. Gun ownership in New Zealand is being discussed after a mass shooting at two area mosques. (AP Photo/Mark Baker)
March 17, 2019 - 7:24 pm
CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand (AP) — The New Zealand leader's promise of tightened gun laws in the wake of the Christchurch mosque shootings has been widely welcomed by a stunned population. Prime Minister Jacinta Ardern said her Cabinet will consider the details of the changes on Monday. She has said...
Read More
In this image made from a video, a woman who Australia's Nine Network television says is a grandmother of Brenton Harrison Tarrant, the Australian man accused of carrying out the mass shootings at two New Zealand mosques, is interviewed in Grafton, New South Wales, Australia Sunday, March 17, 2019. The woman, identified as Marie Fitzgerald, says, "It's just so much for everything to take in that somebody in our family would do anything like this." (CHANNEL 9 via AP)
March 17, 2019 - 5:29 pm
CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand (AP) — The Latest on shootings at mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand (all times local): 10 a.m. The organizers of New Zealand's largest gun show say they have canceled the event to show respect for victims of the Christchurch massacre and because of "elevated security...
Read More
In this image made from video, New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, center, hugs and consoles a woman as she visited Kilbirnie Mosque to lay flowers among tributes to Christchurch attack victims, in Wellington, Sunday, March 17, 2019. (TVNZ via AP)
March 17, 2019 - 5:07 am
CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand (AP) — The attributes that helped Jacinda Ardern rise to become New Zealand's leader at age 37 include her optimistic outlook and bright personality. And she became an inspiration to working women around the world last year when she gave birth to a daughter, Neve. But the...
Read More
A girl walk to lay flowers on a wall at the Botanical Gardens in Christchurch, New Zealand, Sunday, March 17, 2019. New Zealand's stricken residents reached out to Muslims in their neighborhoods and around the country on Saturday, in a fierce determination to show kindness to a community in pain as a 28-year-old white supremacist stood silently before a judge, accused in mass shootings at two mosques that left dozens of people dead. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
March 16, 2019 - 10:06 pm
CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand (AP) — Anguished relatives were anxiously waiting Sunday for authorities to release the remains of those who were killed in massacres at two mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch, while authorities announced the death toll from the racist attacks had risen to 50...
Read More
Backdropped by the Byzantine-era Hagia Sophia, demonstrators chant slogans against the mosque attacks in New Zealand during a protest in Istanbul, Saturday, March 16, 2019. World leaders expressed condolences and condemnation following the deadly attacks on mosques in the New Zealand city of Christchurch, while Muslim leaders said the mass shooting was evidence of a rising tide of violent anti-Islam sentiment.(AP Photo/Lefteris Pitarakis)
March 16, 2019 - 8:32 pm
BELGRADE, Serbia (AP) — The white supremacist suspected in the mosque shootings that left at least 50 people dead in New Zealand had traveled to the Balkans in the past three years, where he toured historic sites and apparently studied battles between Christians and the Ottoman empire. Authorities...
Read More
A police officer patrols at a cordon near a mosque in central Christchurch, New Zealand, Friday, March 15, 2019. Multiple people were killed in mass shootings at two mosques full of worshippers attending Friday prayers on what the prime minister called "one of New Zealand's darkest days," as authorities detained four people and defused explosive devices in what appeared to be a carefully planned attack. (AP Photo/Mark Baker)
March 15, 2019 - 9:52 am
The self-proclaimed racist who attacked a New Zealand mosque during Friday prayers in an assault that killed 49 people used rifles covered in white-supremacist graffiti and listened to a song glorifying a Bosnian Serb war criminal. These details highlight the toxic beliefs behind an unprecedented,...
Read More
March 12, 2019 - 6:15 am
DAKAR, Senegal (AP) — Intercommunal violence that left at 535 people dead in western Congo may amount to crimes against humanity, according to a report by United Nations investigators released on Tuesday that cited witnesses saying village chiefs helped plan the violence. The massacre took place...
Read More
FILE - In this Dec. 2, 2018 photo, a menorah is tested outside the Tree of Life Synagogue in preparation for a celebration service at sundown on the first night of Hanukkah, in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood of Pittsburgh. A $6.3 million fund established in the wake of the Pittsburgh synagogue massacre will primarily be split among the families of the dead and survivors of the worst attack on Jews in U.S. history. The Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh made the announcement Tuesday, March 5, 2019. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar, File)
March 05, 2019 - 1:08 pm
A $6.3 million fund established after the Pittsburgh synagogue massacre will primarily be split among the families of the dead and survivors of the worst attack on Jews in U.S. history, organizers announced Tuesday. The Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh set up the Victims of Terror Fund after...
Read More
FILE - This undated Pennsylvania Department of Transportation photo shows Robert Bowers. Bowers, a truck driver accused of killing 11 and wounding seven during an attack on a Pittsburgh synagogue in October 2018 is expected to appear Monday morning, Feb. 11, 2019, in a federal courtroom to be arraigned on additional charges. (Pennsylvania Department of Transportation via AP, File)
February 11, 2019 - 12:10 pm
PITTSBURGH (AP) — The suspect in the Pittsburgh synagogue massacre pleaded not guilty to dozens of charges Monday as his new lawyer, a prominent death penalty litigator who represented one of the Boston Marathon bombers, signaled he might be open to a plea deal. Robert Bowers, a truck driver who...
Read More
Imen Triqui, one of the defense lawyers talks to the Associated Press outside the Hall of Justice in Tunis, Friday, Feb.8, 2019. More than 40 people have been summoned to face trial over Tunisia's deadliest attack in a Mediterranean resort in 2015 and the verdict in expected Friday Feb.8, 2019, more than 3-1/2 years after the attack on the Imperial Hotel in the beach resort of Sousse left 38 people dead, mostly British tourists (AP Photo/Hassene Dridi)
February 08, 2019 - 2:19 pm
TUNIS, Tunisia (AP) — A lawyer for suspects in two separate attacks in Tunisia that killed some 60 people, mainly tourists, offered condolences to the victims' families Friday. Twenty-four suspects, who have all denied any direct role in the attack, attended the final hearing of the trial over a...
Read More

Pages