Opera

Musicians rehearse at the Gran Teatre del Liceu in Barcelona, Spain, Monday, June 22, 2020. The Gran Teatre del Liceu reopens its doors, in which the 2,292 seats of the auditorium will be occupied on this occasion by plants. It will be on 22 June, broadcast live online, when the UceLi Quartet string quartet performs Puccini's "Crisantemi" for this verdant public, brought in from local nurseries. (AP Photo/Emilio Morenatti)
June 22, 2020 - 3:58 pm
BARCELONA, Spain (AP) — Barcelona’s Gran Teatre del Liceu opera house reopened Monday and performed its first concert since the coronavirus lockdown — to an audience that didn’t have to worry about social distancing. Instead of people, the UceLi Quartet played Giacomo Puccini’s I Crisantemi (...
Read More
June 16, 2020 - 7:04 pm
CHICAGO (AP) — The Lyric Opera of Chicago and San Francisco Opera have canceled the fall portions of their 2020-21 seasons due to the new coronavirus. The Lyric Opera eliminated four of its 10 productions and delayed opening night from Sept. 17 to Jan. 16. San Francisco canceled five of seven...
Read More
FILE - In this Aug. 1, 2014, file photo, pedestrians make their way in front of the Metropolitan Opera house at New York's Lincoln Center. Met Opera will delay opening night of the season to Dec. 31, calling off four of five new productions, eliminating February break. (AP Photo/John Minchillo, File)
June 01, 2020 - 4:58 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — The Metropolitan Opera season is getting shorter, along with some of its shows. The Met said Monday it is pushing back opening night by nearly 3 1/2 months to the latest start in the company’s 137-year history and calling off four of next season’s new productions in fallout from the...
Read More
FILE - In this Dec. 5, 2011 file photo, Yannick Nezet-Seguin, the music director for The Philadelphia Orchestra, poses for a portrait in Philadelphia. Nézet-Séguin’s income from the Metropolitan Opera in his first season as music director was about a quarter of what James Levine earned in his last full season as music director emeritus. His compensation in the 2018-19 fiscal year was $392,152, according to the company’s tax return released Friday. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, File)
May 15, 2020 - 7:40 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — Yannick Nézet-Séguin’s income from the Metropolitan Opera in his first season as music director was about a quarter of what James Levine earned in his last full season as music director emeritus. Nézet-Séguin’s compensation in the 2018-19 fiscal year was $392,152, according to the...
Read More
FILE - This Jan. 3, 1984 file photo shows John Macurdy as Radames after a performance of Giuseppe Verdi's "Aida" in New York. Macurdy, a bass who sang 1,001 performances at the Metropolitan Opera over four decades and created roles in several world premieres, died on May 7, 2020 in Stamford, Connecticut. He was 91. (AP Photo/Richard Drew, File)
May 13, 2020 - 4:46 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — John Macurdy, a bass who sang 1,001 performances at the Metropolitan Opera over four decades and created characters in notable world premieres, has died at 91, his wife said Wednesday. Macurdy died of natural causes on May 7 in Stamford, Connecticut, Justine Macurdy said. His career...
Read More
FILE - This Oct. 26, 1959 file photo shows American mezzo-soprano Rosalind Elias arriving at the Metropolitan Opera House in New York to attend a performance of Verdi's "Il Trovatore." Elias, who created roles in a pair of Samuel Barber world premieres and made her Broadway debut at age 81, died Sunday May 3, 2020. She was 90. (AP Photo/Ray Howard, File)
May 05, 2020 - 3:51 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — Rosalind Elias, an American mezzo-soprano who created roles in a pair of Samuel Barber world premieres and made her Broadway debut at 81, has died. She was 90. Elias had been slowed by congestive heart failure for the past six months, according to her manager, Robert Lombardo, but...
Read More
This combination photo shows the cover of "The Nickel Boys," left, and a portrait of author Colson Whitehead. Whitehead won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction for his work on Monday, May 4, 2020. (Doubleday, left, and Madeline Whitehead/Doubleday via AP)
May 04, 2020 - 6:43 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — Colson Whitehead became the rare author to receive Pulitzers for consecutive books when his novel about a brutal Florida reform school during the Jim Crow era, “The Nickel Boys,” was awarded the fiction prize Monday. Three years ago, he won for his Civil War era novel “The...
Read More
In a photo provided by the Metropolitan Opera, members of the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra and chorus performing from homes for the company’s At-Home gala, which was transmitted Saturday, April 25, 2020. Music director Yannick Nézet-Séguini in Mointreal is in the fourth row from top, sixth from left. (Metropolitan Opera via AP)
April 26, 2020 - 5:56 pm
NEW YORK (AP) — Javier Camarena was at his home in Zurich singing an aria from Bellini’s “Il Pirata” when the screen for the video feed split, and he was joined by Metropolitan Opera music director Yannick Nézet-Séguin in Montreal and general manager Peter Gelb in New York. “Just a second,” the...
Read More
FILE - In this Aug. 3, 2007 file photo, the Carnegie Hall building at 57th St. and Broadway appears in New York. Carnegie Hall is projecting a $9 million operating deficit on its $104 million budget after canceling the rest of its season because of the coronavirus pandemic and anticipates making changes to its schedule for 2020-21. (AP Photo/Bebeto Matthews)
April 02, 2020 - 6:15 pm
Carnegie Hall is projecting a $9 million operating deficit on its $104 million budget after canceling the rest of its season because of the coronavirus pandemic and anticipates making changes to its schedule for 2020-21. “We’ve obviously sold a lot of tickets for next season, but there’ll be issues...
Read More
FILE - In this July 12, 2019 file photo, opera singer Placido Domingo speaks during a news conference about an upcoming show in Madrid, Spain. On Friday, March 20, 2020, the American Guild of Musical Artists said Domingo has resigned from the U.S. union that represents opera singers, after two investigations found sexual harassment allegations against him to be credible. The guild said he will also contribute $500,000 to sexual harassment eradication programs and a fund that helps opera employees in crisis. (AP Photo/Bernat Armangue, File)
March 30, 2020 - 11:24 pm
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Tenor Placido Domingo said Monday he is resting at home after catching the new coronavirus. Domingo said in a statement that he is "at home and I feel fine." The 79-year-old was reportedly hospitalized in Mexico after publicly acknowledging on March 22 that he had tested positive...
Read More

Pages