Prison breaks

October 07, 2019 - 7:12 pm
Good evening! Here’s a look at how AP’s news coverage is shaping up today in the Deep South. Questions about today's coverage plans are welcome and should be directed to: The Atlanta AP Bureau at 404-522-8971 or apatlanta@ap.org The Columbia AP Bureau at 803-799-5510 or apcolumbia@ap.org The...
Read More
October 07, 2019 - 8:00 am
Good morning! Here’s a look at how AP’s news coverage is shaping up today in the Deep South. Questions about today's coverage plans are welcome and should be directed to: The Atlanta AP Bureau at 404-522-8971 or apatlanta@ap.org The Columbia AP Bureau at 803-799-5510 or apcolumbia@ap.org The...
Read More
This combination of undated images provided by the Gallia County Sheriff's Office shows from left to right, Brynn Martin, Christopher Clemente, Troy McDaniel Jr. and Lawrence Lee III. Three of the four inmates who overpowered two female corrections officers and escaped from an Ohio county jail on Sunday, Sept. 29, 2019, were caught in North Carolina Monday, Sept. 30. The overcrowded Ohio county jail where the inmates escaped has been repeatedly cited by state inspectors for its lack of a security perimeter, broken security cameras, no two-way radio system and the failure by administrators to show whether corrections officers conducted contraband searches or performed daily counts of inmates. (Gallia County Sheriff's Office via AP)
October 03, 2019 - 12:35 pm
CLEVELAND (AP) — Records show the overcrowded Ohio county jail from which four inmates escaped has been repeatedly cited by state inspectors for its lack of a security perimeter, broken security cameras and lack of a two-way radio system. The records obtained by The Associated Press also cite a...
Read More
This combination of undated images provided by the Gallia County Sheriff's Office shows from left to right, Brynn Martin, Christopher Clemente, Troy McDaniel Jr. and Lawrence Lee III. Three of the four inmates who overpowered two female corrections officers and escaped from an Ohio county jail on Sunday, Sept. 29, 2019, were caught in North Carolina Monday, Sept. 30. The overcrowded Ohio county jail where the inmates escaped has been repeatedly cited by state inspectors for its lack of a security perimeter, broken security cameras, no two-way radio system and the failure by administrators to show whether corrections officers conducted contraband searches or performed daily counts of inmates. (Gallia County Sheriff's Office via AP)
September 30, 2019 - 5:06 am
CARY, N.C. (AP) — Three of four inmates who authorities say overpowered two female corrections officers and escaped from an Ohio county jail have been caught in North Carolina. A release from Gallia County Sheriff Matt Champlin in Ohio says the three men — Brynn K. Martin, Christopher M. Clemente...
Read More
September 16, 2019 - 2:10 pm
SPARTANBURG, S.C. (AP) — Authorities say the arrest of a South Carolina prison food service employee on a contraband charge appears to be related to an inmate who escaped for about 14 hours. Arrest warrants say 58-year-old Orbadella Garrett was taken into custody Sunday trying to smuggle $400 of...
Read More
August 16, 2019 - 3:38 pm
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (AP) — A California man who previously escaped from jail and was on the run for a week was convicted Friday of kidnapping and torturing a marijuana dispensary owner who he mistakenly believed had buried large sums of money in the desert. A jury in Newport Beach found Hossein...
Read More
FILE-In this July 18, 2017 file photo the wooden main gate leading into the former Nazi German Stutthof concentration camp photographed in Sztutowo, Poland. A Hamburg court says a 92-year-old former SS private will go on trial on 5,230 counts of accessory to murder on allegations he helped the Stutthof concentration camp function in his role as a guard. (AP Photo/Czarek Sokolowski)
August 08, 2019 - 9:36 am
BERLIN (AP) — A 92-year-old former SS private will go on trial this fall in Germany on 5,230 counts of being an accessory to murder, accused of helping the Nazis' Stutthof concentration camp function, a Hamburg court said Thursday. Though he is not accused of any specific killing, Bruno Dey is...
Read More
In this undated booking photo provided by the Jefferson County, Ark., Sheriff's Office, Wednesday, July 31, 2019 shows Wesley Gullett. Gullett, a leader of a white supremacist gang in Arkansas and another inmate, Christopher Sanderson, have escaped a local jail and are being sought by authorities who say they consider the men armed and dangerous. The U.S. Marshals service said Tuesday, July 30, 2019 authorities were searching for Gullett and Sanderson after the pair escaped from the Jefferson County Detention Center in Pine Bluff, which is about 38 miles south of Little Rock. (Jefferson County Sheriff's Office via AP)
August 02, 2019 - 6:42 am
PINE BLUFF, Ark. (AP) — A jail breakout ended without violence as authorities scooped up a white supremacist gang leader and another fugitive more than 100 miles (160 kilometers) from their Arkansas lockup . Wesley Gullett, 30, surrendered while walking alone down a highway in Dover, northwest of...
Read More
This photo provided by Sumter County Jail in South Carolina shows Stephen Stinnette. Authorities say Stinnette, an inmate charged with murder is back in a jail after escaping during a riot. Sumter County deputies said Stinnette escaped the Sumter County jail around 7 p.m. Thursday, July 25, 2019, in the chaos after inmates including Stinnette started fighting as they were being taken out of a unit filling with smoke when one prisoner set a mattress on fire. Authorities said Stinnette was recaptured after several hours. (Sumter County Jail via AP)
July 26, 2019 - 12:27 pm
SUMTER, S.C. (AP) — The Latest on a jail escape in South Carolina (all times local): 11:50 a.m. Authorities say an inmate charged with murder spent a month planning an escape from a jail in South Carolina that would take advantage of a fellow prisoner setting fire to a mattress and an attack on...
Read More
Weslie Martin, accused of burglarizing Wayne Newton's home, is escorted out of the courtroom following his hearing at the Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, Friday, June 21, 2019. A Nevada jury found martin, a 22-year-old state prison inmate guilty of burglarizing the mansion of "Mr. Las Vegas" entertainer Wayne Newton twice in June 2018, and of trying to break into a neighboring home. (Erik Verduzco/Las Vegas Review-Journal via AP)
June 21, 2019 - 6:50 pm
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A Nevada prison inmate was found guilty Friday of burglarizing the mansion of "Mr. Las Vegas" entertainer Wayne Newton twice a year ago and trying to break into a neighboring home. Weslie Hosea Martin, 22, didn't testify during the trial and didn't visibly react to the jury verdict...
Read More

Pages