War casualties

Palestinians look at a damage after an Israeli raid killed Ashraf Naalweh during an arrest raid in the Asker refugee camp near the West Bank city of Nablus, Thursday, Dec. 13, 2018. Israel accuses Naalweh of shooting to death two Israelis and wounding another at an attack on a West Bank industrial zone in October. He fled the scene and Israeli forces have been searching for him since. The writing in Arabic reads: ""Ashraf Naalweh, your blood awaits a victory". (AP Photo/Majdi Mohammed)
December 13, 2018 - 12:05 pm
JERUSALEM (AP) — The Latest on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict (all times local): 7:05 p.m. Israel's prime minister has ordered a number of security measures in the West Bank in response to a Palestinian shooting attack that killed two Israeli soldiers. Benjamin Netanyahu's office says he has...
Read More
Martin Griffith, Special Envoy for Yemen of the U.N. Secretary General, attends a press conference at Johannesberg Palace, north of Stockholm on Monday Dec. 10, 2018. Yemen's warring parties are meeting for a fifth day of talks in Sweden aimed at halting the country's catastrophic 4-year-old war. (Stina Stjernkvist/TT via AP)
December 12, 2018 - 1:19 pm
RIMBO, Sweden (AP) — The U.N. special envoy for Yemen on Wednesday gave the country's warring sides at peace talks underway in Sweden a draft agreement they need to consider before this round of negotiations wraps up the following day. The document consists of a set of proposals, including one for...
Read More
In this Nov. 15, 2018 photo, 10-year-old Affaf, who weighs 9,6 kg (21 pounds), sits with her parents at a hospital in Hajjah, Yemen. The U.N. food agency said Thursday, Dec. 6, 2018 it is planning to rapidly scale up food distribution to help another 4 million people in Yemen over the next two months, more than a 50-percent increase in the number reached now, if access can be maintained in the poor, war-stricken country. (Marco Frattini/WFP via AP)
December 07, 2018 - 12:01 pm
RIMBO, Sweden (AP) — The United Nations' refugee agency said Friday there were nearly 1,500 civilian casualties in Yemen from August through October, the latest grim tally to emerge from a four-year civil war as opposing parties hold talks in Sweden. The announcement came as Yemen's Iran-backed...
Read More
Resolute Support Mission Commander United States Army General Austin Scott Miller, right, speaks with Afghanistan's Foreign Minister Salahuddin Rabbani during a meeting of the North Atlantic Council and Resolute Support at NATO headquarters in Brussels, Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2018. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco, Pool)
December 05, 2018 - 11:59 am
BRUSSELS (AP) — Fifteen years after NATO took the lead on international security efforts in Afghanistan, the military alliance's foreign ministers on Wednesday reaffirmed their commitment to stay the course despite mounting Afghan casualties and the slow pace of peace efforts. At talks in Brussels...
Read More
This undated photo provided by the Fort Carson Public Affairs Office shows Sgt. Jason McClary, of Export, Pa. McClary died Sunday, Dec. 2, 2018, at the military hospital in Landstuhl, Germany. The Pentagon says that McClary is the fourth soldier to die from wounds suffered last week in a roadside bomb blast in eastern Afghanistan. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack. (Fort Carson Public Affairs Office via AP)
December 03, 2018 - 12:51 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon says that a fourth soldier has died from wounds suffered last week in a roadside bomb blast in eastern Afghanistan. Sgt. Jason Mitchell McClary died Sunday at the military hospital in Landstuhl, Germany. He was 24 years old and from Export, Pennsylvania. Three other...
Read More
November 30, 2018 - 12:52 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — The remains of three service members killed in the deadliest attack against American forces in Afghanistan this year have arrived back in the U.S. Vice President Mike Pence and relatives of the men were at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware to receive the remains. Media...
Read More
FILE - In this Friday, May 29, 2015 file photo, Nigerian President elect, Muhammadu Buhari, arrives for his Inauguration at the eagle square in Abuja, Nigeria. Shocked by a deadly new series of extremist attacks on soldiers, Nigeria's president on Wednesday Nov. 28, 2018, backed off past declarations that Boko Haram has been defeated and urged the military to "rise to the challenge." (AP Photo/Sunday Alamba, File)
November 28, 2018 - 4:04 pm
LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — Nigeria's military finally revealed a death toll of 39 from a new series of extremist attacks on soldiers, while President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday declared that Boko Haram and Islamic State-linked fighters should be wiped "from the surface of the earth." Another 43...
Read More
Security forces block a road at the site of a suicide bomb attack in Kabul, Afghanistan, Wednesday, Nov. 28, 2018. Najib Danish, spokesman for Afghanistan's Interior Ministry, said the attack in Kabul took place when a suicide bomber detonated his explosives and then other insurgents started a gun battle with forces in the area. (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul)
November 28, 2018 - 1:44 pm
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — The Latest on developments in Afghanistan (all times local): 11:10 p.m. A U.S. military spokesman in Kabul says the airstrike that reportedly struck a house in Helmand province on Tuesday night was conducted by American aircraft. Maj. Bariki Mallya said in an email...
Read More
In this Nov. 26, 2018, photo, a U.S. Army carry team moves a transfer case containing the remains of Sgt. Leandro A. Jasso, at Dover Air Force Base, Del. A rash of American combat deaths in Afghanistan puts a spotlight on a stalemated 17-year war that is testing President Donald Trump’s commitment to pursuing peace with the Taliban. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky)
November 28, 2018 - 11:34 am
WASHINGTON (AP) — A rash of American combat deaths in Afghanistan is putting a spotlight on a stalemated 17-year war that is testing President Donald Trump's commitment to pursuing peace with the Taliban. Trump has acknowledged that his original instinct was to withdraw from Afghanistan, but last...
Read More
November 27, 2018 - 8:43 am
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — A roadside bomb killed three American soldiers in eastern Afghanistan on Tuesday, the U.S. military said, in what appeared to be the deadliest attack on U.S. forces in Afghanistan in the last 17 months. The military said that three other service members were wounded when...
Read More

Pages